Vikalp: Building Resilience and Future Orientation in Youth
‘Project Vikalp: Building Resilience and Future Orientation in Youth’ will influence the aspirations ecosystem of young people, between 10 to 24 years of age, from low-income households to improve their education and employment outcomes. The pilot initiative will mentor them to explore, seek and build on internal and external levers of aspirations such as self-esteem, socio-emotional awareness, inspiration, parent engagement, etc. The one year pilot will focus specifically on academic support, life goals and parent and community engagement.
Project Vikalp aims to work closely with children and youth to influence their aspirations ecosystem to ensure better education and employment outcomes.
1200 households, 18 villages
Jharsuguda district in Odisha
April 2022 to March 2023
Social Shapes Foundation
- Conduct Gram Panchayat and village institution meetings to ensure stakeholder buy-in
- Set up the Vikalp centre
- Conduct household survey, onboard 300 members and 200 scholars
- Form Learning Groups for young people of varying age
- Conduct Learning Group meetings, provide mentorship, organise quarterly events, and engage parents and the community
- Evaluate and assess the programme outcomes
- Iterate curriculum, conduct refresher training and build capacities