Enabling Water Secure Gram Panchayats
The project “Enabling Water Secure Gram Panchayats in Odisha” will make each of 27 Gram Panchayats (GPs) in five districts of Odisha water secure. The project will build capacities for the villages to be able to estimate, plan and manage their water needs for WaSH and livelihoods.
The project aims to strengthen the capabilities of the Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs) and community institutions to improve access to water for livelihood and domestic uses, and build community systems for integrated water, sanitation & hygiene management. It will also build community resilience to dealing with pandemic outbreaks and other natural disasters.
27 Gram Panchayats in nine blocks reaching 28,218 households
Gajapati, Ganjam, Kalahandi, Kandhamal and Nayagarh districts of Odisha
April 2021 to March 2024
Azim Premji Foundation - Philanthropy
- Formation and strengthening of community institutions by encouraging women membership and participation, capacity building on organisational management and leadership, and handholding support to make and implement data-driven water security plans.
- Building and strengthening of water harvesting and recharging infrastructure in partial convergence with MGNREGS.
- Identification and installation of new technologies for weather-proofing and better information for agriculture; training farmers to access these technologies and follow good agricultural practices.
- Construction, repair, augmentation and revival of toilets, bathing rooms, and piped water supply systems in convergence with the government missions.
- Behavioural change communication through the community cadre, community institutions and information display at community spaces.
- Orientation, training of PRI representatives and households and individuals on best practices for the prevention and management of epidemics and pandemics like COVID-19.