Holistic Rural Development Programme
The 'Holistic Rural Development Programme' seeks to bring about dignified and healthy living among the rural communities and strengthen community self-governance. This will be achieved through simultaneous interventions in natural resource management, agriculture, livelihoods; social awareness, health, education; water, sanitation, infrastructure development; and leadership training for women self help groups (SHGs). The programme in 17 villages of Nayagarh district will reach 3345 households, 24% of which have no operational land holding.
Specifically with regard to Sanitation & Hygiene, the project aims to promote safe living conditions through change in the quality of life, broadly defined to include improvements in sanitation, health, education and environmental hygiene.
425 households, 3 villages
Nayagarh in Odisha
October 2017 to September 2019
INR 2.03 crore
- Construction of sanitary well, platform and manual lifting system to ensure a safe source of drinking water
- Construction of model household level toilets and bathing room units
- Solar street lighting, construction of sanitary dug well, platform and manual lifting system; lift irrigation from the river
- Promoting positive health behaviour, self development, and smoother transition to youth among adolescents
- Strengthening school children’s parliament, health and hygiene awareness and constructing toilets in schools
- Working with Gaon Kalyan Samiti for adoption of Total Sanitation, capacity building of ASHA & Anganwadi workers, first aid training; domestic health awareness and education camps