Model School Sanitation Programme
The 'Model School Sanitation Programme' will provide access to adequate water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) infrastructure, raise awareness and improve knowledge on good practices in WASH. It will set up model sanitation units with separate toilets for boys and girls, menstrual hygiene management facilities, water connections; handwashing facilities and a three feet wide verandah and passage.
The project aims to use school sanitation as a pathway to build sustainable hygiene practice adoption in the larger community.
Kalahandi, Nayagarh, Ganjam in Odisha
February 2018 to June 2019
₹ 3.45 crore
- Selection of schools through an assessment of their existing infrastructure, toilets to students ratio, availability of drinking water, handwashing stations and waste disposal mechanisms, usability of the toilets
- Location identification and finalisation of site for the model sanitation unit in the presence of the school management committee
- Construction of model sanitation units and support additional infrastructure to maintain the standards as outlined by the Swachh Bharat, Swachh Vidyalaya scheme
- Facilitating water supply connection from the central water reservoir in the village to the schools
- Handing over the physical infrastructure to School Management Committee and the VWSC for operations and maintenance
- 100 sanitary complexes constructed in 60 schools
- Hand-washing facilities in the sanitary complexes
- Sanitation complexes and school kitchens with piped water supply
- Built capacities of teachers, students, school management committees and community members for proper usage and safe keeping of the assets created