Response for COVID‐19 and Migration
The ‘Response for COVID‐19 and Migration’ programme will develop community mobilisers to support better preparedness for COVID-19, and promote access to social protection schemes to migrant and vulnerable households. Gram Vikas will work with village, block and district governments to create community-level capabilities, institutional systems and processes for future epidemic readiness; strengthen block level preparedness for COVID-19 management; and create technology enabled systems to increase access to social protection.
The project aims to improve the effectiveness of COVID-19 response at community and local government levels, and facilitate linking of vulnerable populations with government programmes.
4,40,109 households, 6 districts
Bolangir, Gajapati, Ganjam, Kalahandi, Kandhamal, Nuapada in Odisha
July 2020 to July 2021
- Create a cadre of 36 community mobilisers at block level with capacities to support functionaries of panchayati raj institutions (PRI) on effective COVID‐19 response
- Reach at least 80,000 households reached with information on social protection schemes of the Centre and State Governments
- Enable linking of rural households to social protection schemes by assisting filling of applications and supporting PRIs & GPs to facilitate registrations
- Liaise with district and block administrations to facilitate linkage of social protection schemes for the vulnerable households
- Link 20,000 households with at least one of the social protection benefits, especially those announced as a part of PMGKY
- Build capacities of 2000 PRI functionaries and other frontline functionaries around prevention measures for COVID-19
- Trained 38 Community Mobilisers on different social protection schemes to facilitate linking of the eligible beneficiaries to different schemes
- Trained 2464 PRI functionaries including Sarpanchs and Ward Members, ASHAs, and Anganwadi workers on management of COVID-19, different social protection schemes, and preparing gram panchayat level contingency plans to deal with disaster and health hazard
- Identified 21,914 eligible beneficiaries and facilitated linkages for them to get at least one of the central or state social protection schemes like MGNREGA, PDS, Pension etc.
- Generated awareness amongst 80,403 households on social protection schemes and COVID-19 related health and hygiene precautions
- Trained 263 village volunteers on different social protection schemes who facilitated in filling-up and submitting documents of eligible beneficiaries for Aadhar correction, both online and offline.
- Prepared Block Migration profiles of 3 blocks – one each in Ganjam, Gajapati and Kandhamal to understand the dynamics of migration, migrants’ expenditure pattern, issues at source and destination ,identifying potential corridors etc. which will help in formulating policies for safe and dignified migration.
- Prepared Gram Panchayat Contingency Plans of 10 Gram Panchayats on a sample basis upon which a concrete contingency plan can be built upon to deal with any health emergencies in future.