Safe and Dignified Migration of the Rural Poor
The ‘Safe and Dignified Migration of the Rural Poor’ project will create community-level capabilities, institutional systems, and processes to enable safe and dignified migration for migrant workers in the Odisha-Kerala corridor. The project will help 1800 migrant workers and their families to make informed migration decisions, build skills, provide information and decision support systems and ensure access to entitlements and social security schemes in Thuamul Rampur block in Odisha’s Kalahandi district.
The project aims to ensure occupational, emotional, financial and social security for migrant workers and their families.
1800 households in 24 Gram Panchayats
Thuamul Rampur block, Kalahandi district in Odisha
March to August 2021
- Establish a Community Champions Network (CCN) to coordinate with local governments to ensure timely access to entitlements, facilities, information, and communication for migrant workers and households.
- Prepare and maintain Gram Panchayat level Migrant Registry for real-time information on migrant workers with support from CCN.
- Establish Shramik Bandhu Seva Kendra (SBSK) in Odisha and Bandhu Shramik Seva Kendra (BSSK) in Kerala as facilitation and resource centres for migrant workers.
- Provide all the necessary information about employment opportunities, travel, and transit and provide to prepare bio-data and collect documentation.
- Provide the necessary support to migrant workers in Kerala such as financial literacy, translation, transportation, accommodation, and psycho-social counseling.
- Strengthen SHG networks to support women in migration-dependent households through Odisha Livelihood Mission.
- Undertake financial literacy campaign in the Thuamul Rampur block in collaboration with ESAF Small Finance Bank