Water Secure Initiative
The "Water Secure Initiative" project adopts a holistic approach to addressing water and natural resources, including social, economic, institutional, and technical aspects. The initiative will bring together all households in the habitations within a Gram Panchayat to manage water and natural resources and strengthen local governance systems to enable water security. It will enhance women's leadership and youth and children's participation in decision-making roles in village-level governance and water security.
The project aims to build village-level water and sanitation infrastructure and enable women’s leadership capacities in socio-economic aspects to manage sustainable conservation of natural resources and enhance livelihood.
470 households, 6 villages
Khordha district in Odisha
October 2022 to September 2025
- Prepare and develop convergence mechanisms for Village Action Plans and convergence with Gram Panchayat Development Plans
- Facilitate training of Village Development Committee office-bearers and women Self Help Group members on accounting, book-keeping and organization management
- Preparation of village level water security plans
- Establishment of community owned and managed piped water supply systems
- Initiatives on water conservation and source protection
- Renovation and strengthening of water bodies
- Building capacities of the community and work processes for water source sustainability
- Facilitate community level training and system for water quality management
- Promotion of improved WASH behaviour